Pingates Coach 'Em All: Coach Moffitt: An Introduction

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Coach Moffitt: An Introduction

Blogs and information are everywhere. The world at your fingertips. No matter what you want to find, the internet provides meta information, heck, even on football.

First, I will tell you up front that I am a small-time coach from a small-time football area. What I know and share won't change the world, yet my hope is that I can help just one coach who may be wearing the same shoes I put on every day.

I have eight years of football coaching experience under my belt, along with other years coaching basketball and track. I am the kind of guy that would rather help you with your golf swing on the course, than worry about my own. 

U.S. history opened the door for my coaching career. I wanted to teach. I didn't go to school for it though. I graduated with a communication degree and went to work for a paper as sports editor, which only stirred up coaching in me. I worked to get into education, found a teaching job and I got football as an added bonus. I was a teacher first, coach second.

That has never changed.

One year of high school varsity football was enough for me. Not seeing my wife at least three days a week during football season was not what we had forseen. A small coaching staff of 5 handling freshman, JV and varsity duties will wear you out. 

I was as green as one could be on that varsity staff. I spent that year really watching; watching what worked and what things didn't. That first year, nothing worked. Yet, I learned so much.

A junior high position head coach position came open in our system, and I leaped at the chance. It was the best coaching move I could have made. 

As junior high head coach, I took on more than I ever had. I was never an offensive guy. I played defense, and I coached defense. Then all of a sudden, I was the offensive, defensive, and special teams coordinator. I was drawing up offensive plays in my sleep, Knute Rockne-type stuff that I would implement.

That is where my journey continues. In the the trenches of junior high football, where kids are just learning the small nuances of the game and just coming into their own athletically, that's where I want to be. 

And that's why I coach junior high football. I teach kids that football is fun, the greatest sport on earth and I get to do it at the sports purest form. And that's why we coach this game. It is the greatest sport on the face of the planet, and we, my friends, are lucky enough to do be in it.

So, why keep reading this? Well, the purpose of this blog is two fold. First, I want to share my experiences with coaches just starting out, but even and old dog can learn new tricks. Second, so coaches in similar settings can come together and share thoughts, ideas, plans, schemes, tactics, drills, and anything else football related. 

I welcome you to join with me in this new adventure.